Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fish n' Ties

Last night I noticed my son's little red striped clip-on tie hanging on the armoire door where my husband had hung some of his work ties. Like many little boys, he wants to be just like his Daddy-I hope he always does!
We recently got a fish tank set up. (This relates, I promise!) Hubby has wanted an aquarium for a long time, and I finally decided to go along with it. ;-) Anyhow, aparently, new aquariums take time to get "cycled"-the levels of chemicals, both good and bad, take a while to be "just right" for the fish. So, after many trips back and forth to PetSmart, we had aquired about 16 fish-the hardiest species that they had available. We warned the kids that some (or all) of these fish might not survive, being a new tank, and all. Things went well for a while, but sure enough, the smaller of the two white mollies died. Neither of the kids seemed very atached to the fish, so hubby uncerimoniously flushed it. Later that evening, my sweet, tender-hearted little boy came down the stairs with his little red neck tie clipped to the neck of his Star Wars T-shirt. "Oh", I said, "are you going somewhere?"
"I'm going to a fish funeral", he said solemnly. (Awwwwwwwww!!!!!) He seemed to be ok, though, so we went on with what we were doing. About ten minutes later, he came back downstairs in the matching elastic waist pin striped pants and vest that go with the tie. (Still wearing the Star Wars T and clip on.) He told us he was going on a pretend date with his sister after the funeral. (I'm not sure whether to laugh or worry.....).
An hour later was bed time. We discovered the little guy sobbing hard in his bed-crying over the little white fish. Poor fella-it took about an hour and a half before I could calm him down. Who knew that he was so attached to a fish we'd only had for a week? I sure hope there really is a "Fishy Heaven" up there, or I'll have some explaining to do someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for reading my post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails