Friday, April 30, 2010

Disturbing Pictures My Son Draws- Part Two

My son has an...ummmm....signature style to his artwork lately.  He typically draws things that share the same theme-destruction, violence, flames, bullets, etc.  I don't know where this comes from-we don't allow him to watch violent movies or tv shows, and he's a sweet, well behaved 7 year old boy, so it must be an outward manifestation of the male gene.  If you missed my first posting of his artwork, please check it out here .

I'm sort of doing double duty with this post, by going along with Buried With Children's weekly Kids Make the Darndest Things meme.  Check it out for more cute, strange, and/or funny artwork!


Kids


First of all, I'd like to share this lovely piece with you all.
In case you aren't practiced in reading first grade handwriting, it says "That is the biggest flaming tower that ever fell on me."  Ouch. Quite the descriptive little writer isn't he?  This picture has a few of his classic elements, fire, bullets, bombs (or "boms"), screaming people, etc., but I love how he throws in a little humor.  The tower, which I assume is an apartment building, is listing to the right, while flames shoot out in every direction.  Some poor soul on the top floor sticks their head out the window to yell "We're doomed!", as yet another person with a big head runs screaming towards the building yelling "aaaa!"  What I at first though was a firetruck shooting water at the fire, turns out to actually be a tank in disguise, shooting at either the building, the fire, or the self labeled "bom" flying over head.  I asked the artist what the things over to the side were, and he said "The people had to throw all of their giant cheeseburgers out the windows so they wouldn't burn up!" Couldn't let that happen!

Not only is a he a brilliant artist and writer, but he's smart, too! His class has been studying r controlled vowels in spelling.  On the back of his worksheet, he was instructed to come up with some of his own "ar" words.  Here's what he came up with.

Bar, barn, yarn...ok, good.  Next is "fart".  Of  course it is.  Please don't miss the plume of gas escaping the stick person's derrière!  I didn't even know stick people had behinds! I love the smug look the person has on his (her?) face-that's the same look my husband gets when he rips one.  Judging by the long hair, this may actually be a girl, which makes it slightly funnier, for some reason.  I love how the teacher just checked the paper and moved on.  Something tells me he wasn't the only boy to come up with this particular "ar" word.

Last but not least, we have a self portrait.
I apologize for it being sideways, but I'm too lazy to edit it it's funnier that way.  Let me first tell you that while he does have a large head in real life (2 hours of pushing with this one!!), he is much cuter and better looking in person, and his face and neck are generally the same color.  If you look close, you can see fangs-I asked him if he thought he was a vampire.  He said, "Oh no, Mom.  I actually tried to erase those."  Apparently, he thought the shark teeth were more realistic.  Added bonus: scrunch your eyes, and focus on the black space, and you'll see a water goblet!


I love this sweet, funny kid!

13 comments:

  1. Since my kids JUST went to bed and may still be roused by loud noises I am trying to stifle my giggles. I don't know if his artwork or your commentary is funnier, but put them together and you just made my night :) Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when flaming towers fall on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, his picture of a fart totally cracked me up.

    Thank you so much for playing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it about boys and farts? You can't have one without the other. That stick-man letting one rip is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAhahahaa! Oh my gosh, that's great. My boys draw things that make me wonder. In every picture a while back, my now 7 yr old would draw dead bad guys. You could tell because of the Xs on the eyes. Now they're just "knocked out." Good grief, boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading, everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed it! He's a pretty entertaining little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! So funny! I used to teach first grade and journaling was always a hoot.

    Thanks for stopping by for my Thursday 13. I'm just NOW getting a break to visit and comment on everyone else's posts.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys will be boys...

    Love your blog. Can't wait to see more.

    Found you over at a blogfrog discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi from the TMC! oh my i love that i came across this post - your kid is awesome!! that first picture had my laughing and i nearly woke up my baby! but i love that he's imaginative - sounds like a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting, everyone! He's a funny little sweetheart-I think we'll keep him around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @alabaster cow I tried to comment on your blog, but Disqus hates me, so it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are great!! That kid has a career in entertainment ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for reading my post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails